This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This publication [communication] reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.

Sunday 16 March 2014

My impressions of Krakow, Poland

My name is Jovan and in this post, I will write about my expectations and impressions about the city of Krakow, Poland. We have been there for one week.

We had the task to make a survey video about ecological footprint. As a result we traveled to Poland and participated in 6th Viribus Unitis meeting in Krakow.


 If I am honest, at first, I didn’t expect much from Poland. At first the city seemed a lot like Ljubljana, but later we realized it is nothing like that.
One of the things that I don’t like about Krakow is really bad air pollution; it’s three times higher as it should be. One of the first things that we did when we arrived was taking a walk to the city’s main square, which is one of the most beautiful and biggest squares in Europe. We (Slovenians) once decided to walk around the city on side-streets so we would get more impressions about rhythm of life in Krakow and people's lifestyle. We figured out that the city can be very loud. It has some very peaceful parts though. One night, we went to a bar called Stalowe Magnolie, which has quite special style. At the beginning I wasn’t sure if I like it. But thanks to the company and good music we had a great time there.

We also visited the Wieliczka salt mine, one of the world’s oldest salt mines still operating. Thinking it is just another mine, we went in and were astonished how big it is and also how many chapels are there, we never thought that the miners were so religious. After the tour you can also buy salt that has been dug there.
Till the end of the week, we visited the underground museum, castle and other history sights in Krakow. Because I like history, I was really interested, what Poland has to offer about that. I never heard much about their history though. We learned a lot about the history of Jagiellonians to Polish kings and much more.

Professor Jože Iskra also teached me some of the Polish words, for example: dziękuję (thank you), proszę (please), dobry (good) and couple more.

So at the end of the day, if you’d ask me would I go to Poland again, I would say yes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment